Alexander College is currently seeking a Permanent, Full-time Academic Advisor! If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to work as part of a great team in a fast paced, fun, and growing post-secondary institution then apply NOW with a Cover Letter AND Resume! You can apply by visiting our website at https://alexandercollege.ca/staff-and-faculty/careers-at-alexander-college/ and sending an e-mail to the listed address. Our Vancouver Campus is conveniently located in the centre of downtown Vancouver on the corner of Seymour and Hastings Streets and our Burnaby Campus is just steps away from Metrotown shopping Centre.
POSITION OVERVIEW:The Academic Advisor works within the Student Success Team to provide students with a strategic approach to their development, progress and academic success. The primary duty of the Academic Advisor is to provide academic advising for new and returning students and to aid them in the development of a plan to reach their academic goals. In addition, the Academic Advisor researches and communicates emerging trends and works with other support staff to develop and maintain various core support services for students at Alexander College. The nature of the position requires the ideal candidate to possess a passion for working with students in a post-secondary context.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Student AffairsEMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full time, Permanent
WORK WEEK The Employee will work a 40 hour work week (not including a half-hour unpaid lunch break), Monday – Friday, during operating hours. Occasional evenings and weekends will be required.The Academic Advising schedule may be adjusted at any time during the term of the contract per the Unit’s needs.
LOCATION: Burnaby and Vancouver Campus, flexibility to travel between, and work at, both campuses required.
- Provide Academic Advising for Alexander College Students
- Meet and advise students during office hours and as needed
- Advertise services to new students at Orientation, in classrooms and throughout the campus, and through the use of social media, etc.
- Pre-assess transferability for students’ out of province courses
- Advise students on the course prerequisites for Alexander College courses
- Advise students through degree completion/graduation planning processes
- Assist students to create education plans that best suit their needs (i.e. course selection) for both Associate Degree completion or University Transfer
- Verify requirements and initialize graduation application process
- Assist students with university applications when transferring to other institutions
- Develop and deliver workshops on post-secondary transfer options and admissions requirements to BCCAT member institutions
- Provide advice to students who are facing academic difficulty, and refer students to other Student Success Services as neededEnsure Academic Advising supports institutional best practices
- Work with Enrolment Advisors to ensure advising guidelines are up to date and relevant
- Consult with the Dean on new course offerings and communicate updated degree requirements
- Monitor, research and communicate on transferability of courses to other institutions
- Research, monitor and report on current trends in post-secondary education in BC
- As required, liaise with other post-secondary institutions in BC to hone best practices, learn of alternatives and other opportunities for students
- Work in conjunction with other staff in the Student Success Services Team and other departments, as necessary
- Prepare and deliver reports to Director(s) including relevant data regarding advising
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director(s)
If you are interested in the above position and you would like to apply, please apply by e-mailing a PDF copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be accepted. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to the team and why you'd be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Alexander College is a private post-secondary institution serving approximately 2,000 students every year. Alexander College offers a variety of undergraduate degree and transfer programs [see Programs] including University Transfer, Associate of Arts degree and Associate of Science degree. An integrated English for Academic Purposes program is also available to assist non-native English speakers with their transition to university level studies in the English language.Alexander College is recognized and accredited by the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, Degree Quality Assurance Board (DQAB), BC Education Quality Assurance (EQA) program, and is a proud participant in the BC Transfer System, organized by the BC Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT).The academic year has four terms: Fall (Sept-Dec), Winter (Jan-Apr), Spring (May-July) and Summer intensive (July-Aug).
Janice O Sullivan