Academic counselors advise new, prospective, and transfer students in all aspects of university-wide academic programs, student development, and career planning.
Manages a student caseload using predictive analytics and proactive outreach to improve retention. Duties include explaining policies, making referrals, maintaining records, interpreting test scores, addressing academic standards issues, coordinating academic issues with faculty and staff, and attending meetings as assigned.
Interested applicants should submit resume, cover letter, and supplemental question responses through the online employment portal at https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/13247
Utah Valley University is the largest public university in the state of Utah, and one of a few in the nation offering a dual-mission model that combines the rigor and richness of a first-rate teaching university with the openness and vocational programs of a community college. The unique model, which focuses on student success, engaged learning, rigorous academic programs, and faculty-mentored research, is transforming higher education by making it more affordable and accessible to students of all backgrounds.
Benefits Summary UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range $41,412 - $51,765
Physical Requirements Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. Use of fine-hand manipulation associated with the use of a computer. Consistent need to speak, hear, and see.
EEO Statement Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Elaine Lewis (email@example.com)
Graduation from an accredited institution with a master’s degree in a directly related field, plus two years of experience related to the Summary of Duties of the position. Successful applicants should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of career and academic counseling practices, services, activities, and operations.
- Knowledge of student development theory and effective student success strategies.
- Knowledge of psychosocial interviewing and counseling techniques including the administration and interpretation of relevant tests.
- Knowledge of career assessment, counseling, and other related technology.
- Knowledge of and commitment to UVU’s mission and strategic directions.
- Demonstrated skill in effective interpersonal, collaboration, and professionalism.
- Demonstrated skill in verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrated skill in problem-solving and decision-making.
- Ability to gather, interpret, and apply data and information to improve student success.
- Ability to serve students from diverse backgrounds and with diverse needs.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.