The Academic Advisement Center provides information, guidance and advisement to Associate in Arts (AA), Exploratory and Developmental Education students. The Advising Specialist is responsible for providing direction, information, personal attention, care and support to students in the development and planning of their educational pursuits at Santa Fe College (SF). The Academic Advisement Center seeks an Advising Specialist to provide information, guidance, personalized advisement, registration assistance and support to students. The Advising Specialist prepares students to achieve their professional and educational goals by helping students explore academic options, develop academic plans for success, register for coursework and make timely progress to persist toward degree completion.
- Assist in all Advisement efforts, including academic advisement, as well as technological innovations to enhance, expand and improve advisement such as distance advising.
- Assist incoming students with placement, academic and career path guidance, and initial course selection.
- Work primarily with an assigned case load of students, responding to at-risk reporting with appropriate student outreach and follow-up.
- Participate in advisement initiatives including presenting to small and large groups of students during workshops, class presentations, as well as assisting with special events such as Gator Day which may be conducted during evenings and weekends.
- Serve as a liaison between the Academic Advisement Center and academic departments at SF and University of Florida.
- Build partnerships and collaborate with areas across campus to provide referrals to appropriate campus resources (i.e. tutoring, counseling, career services, Financial Aid, SF’s Food Pantry) and community resources, helping to achieve advisement objectives.
- Serve on college-wide committees on behalf of the Academic Advisement Center.
- Assist with the implementation and execution of Quality Enhancement Plan initiatives, which includes the introduction of an early alert system for academically at-risk students, as well as progressive advisement.
- Interpret and follow detailed state and college regulations, policies and procedures.
- Strictly honor the privacy and security of student records and other sensitive information according to appropriate state, federal and college regulations, policies and procedures.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
All applicants must submit a completed online SF Employment Application, a letter of intent, an up-to-date resume, as well as college transcripts to be considered for this position. The letter of intent must describe your interest in working as the Advising Specialist at Santa Fe College and explain your advisement philosophy, as well as the skills, strengths and experience you can bring to this position. Unofficial transcripts are only accepted for review purposes, official transcripts are required prior to any offer of employment being made.
Santa Fe College (SF) has been recognized as one of the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. Santa Fe College is a comprehensive public college that offers a range of Bachelor’s degrees, Associate in Arts, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science degree options, as well as Certificate and Non-Degree programs. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester, retains and completes over 60% of students every academic year, while over 10% transfer into the University system.
Human Resources 352-395-5066