The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is looking for vibrant, dynamic individuals interested in working in a team environment dedicated to student success. The mission of Arts and Sciences Advising Services is to guide our diverse undergraduate population in developing and implementing sound educational plans that are consistent with their values and their academic and career goals. Our purpose is to encourage students to become self-directed learners and decision-makers. Finally, our efforts support the University of Tennessee's broader mission, specifically by encouraging student persistence towards graduation. This is an exempt, 12 month, full time, non-tenure track staff position that provides an exciting opportunity to be a part of UT's Advising 2020 strategic plan that integrates academic and career advising with self-exploration, leadership, and experience learning.
The Academic Advisor serves as a member of the Advising Services staff and exists to provide comprehensive academic advising to undergraduate students and to promote advising as an essential tool for academic success and a critical component of the educational experience. The primary responsibility of this position is to advise Exploratory and Arts and Sciences students.
The Academic Advisor will support students as they transition at various points throughout their academic careers at UT which include:
- self- exploration that focuses on strengths, interests, and values,
- major and career exploration,
- identification of co-curricular, career and experience learning, and leadership opportunities to support both academic and professional development, and
- selection of major and development of an academic plan that aligns with strengths, aspirations, and abilities.
- foster students' intellectual and personal development toward academic success,
- interpret and advise students on policies and procedures of the University and College of Arts and Sciences
- teach students the purpose of General Education, the academic opportunities across colleges, and the Arts and Sciences curriculum
- conduct pre-health, pre-law, academic probation, and pre-teaching academic advising appointments
- represent the College of Arts and Sciences at university-wide events
- provide all services related to new student and transfer orientation advising sessions.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is the state's flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling 27,000 students, the campus is located within the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university guided by its VolVision 2020 strategic plan, it is committed to excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement. In all its activities, the university aims to advance the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The university values seeking knowledge, leading with innovation and integrity, advancing diversity and inclusion, engaging locally and globally and embracing the responsible stewardship of resources. A critical component of the VolVision 2020 strategic plan is the transformation of academic advising to a model that focuses on providing undergraduates with consistent and holistic advising throughout their undergraduate experience and on integrating career and academic advising with experience learning. This University-wide commitment to advising has resulted in the addition of a number of academic advisor positions at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
$37,334 includes a standard university benefits package.