Advisor & Transfer Coordinator
Categories: Great Lakes Region 5
The Advisor and Transfer Coordinator works collaboratively with members of the student success team, providing holistic support to both students and faculty advisors.
- Provides advising and support to transfer students to ensure a smooth transition to Augustana.
- Works collaboratively with Admissions, the Registrar’s Office, the Academic Affairs Office, and partner institutions to develop and refine articulation agreements and transfer pipelines to the College.
- Participates in student success and retention efforts including both proactive measures and interventions for struggling students.
- Provides one-on-one advising to students exploring a change of majors and/or career goals and to at-risk upperclassmen to provide guidance and direction toward a degree.
- Works collaboratively with Office of Advising staff on day-to-day functions of the office.
- Works collaboratively with Office of Advising staff to coordinate and implement Orientation and Registration activities for all incoming first-year and transfer students.
- Supports faculty advisors with resources, expertise on policy and procedures, and develops and facilitates professional development opportunities as needed.
- Coordinates services with other student service providers including: CORE, the Learning Commons, Student Life and Leadership, Multicultural Student Life, International Student Life, Residential Life, and Counseling Services.
- Represents the Office of Advising at Admissions events on a rotating basis.
- Participates on committees as needed and/or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Email cover letter with salary requirements and resume to humanresources@Augustana.edu
Augustana College is a selective liberal arts institution serving 2600 students. Located on 114 wooded acres, Augustana prepares students for lives of service and leadership.
Laura Ford, Director of Human Resourceshumanresources@Augustana.edu
- Master’s Degree in student development, counseling, communication or related field
- Three to five years demonstrated experience in an advising role working with college aged students.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize and multi-task with attention to detail
- Capacity to build and sustain positive work relationships with administrators, faculty, and staff
- Capacity to build and sustain positive advising relationships with students
- Knowledge of literature and practice related to undergraduate advising and building a robust advising program
- Strong team work and work ethic and the ability to work long days, evening and weekends on an as-needed basis
- Understanding of the special needs and challenges presented in advising transfer students
- Familiarity with Student Information Systems (SIS), Early Alert programs, and Course Management Systems.
- Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess finger and hand dexterity for using small tools and equipment. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.Special Requirements: This position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a diverse employee population, and the ability and willingness to model the mission and high standard of behavior of Augustana College.