Primary Purpose The Assistant Athletic Director, Student-Athlete Services, is a member of the staff responsible for overseeing the academic progress and NCAA eligibility status of student-athletes, providing academic guidance, counseling, and mentoring to student-athletes to ensure welfare and success. This position works in close collaboration with Athletics Division Staff to deliver a program of high-impact student-athlete services. It reports to the Director, Academic Advising & Student Success, who oversees overall academic advising and student success coaching efforts for all undergraduates with a dotted line to the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete Services.
Supervises and works in close collaboration with Coordinator for Student-Athlete Services to perform the following job functions:
- Identify and assess student-athletes’ academic needs and challenges; plan and implement support services to meet the needs of all student-athletes by collaborating with faculty, Student Life professionals, Academic Support Services staff and other campus professionals
- Provide academic counseling to student-athletes on matters such as course registration, developing an academic plan, fulfilling university general education requirements, interpreting major and school requirements, declaring a major, applying for graduation, academic policies and procedures
- Provide assistance to student-athletes with study habits, goal-setting, planning and decision making, monitoring course assignments and graduation requirements as well as NCAA academic progress through academic coaching in individual and group settings
- Resolve complex advising-related situations by applying in-depth knowledge of academic policy and recommending an appropriate course of action to students; serve as advising support for faculty and staff who need assistance resolving complicated advising issues for student-athletes
- Provide and/or connect student-athletes to appropriate resources on campus to support their overall success including; study/learning skills workshops and courses, life skills workshops, courses and other opportunities, mental health support, case management and overall wellness services.
- Supervise Coordinator for Student-Athlete Services
- Supervise, train, schedule, and coordinate student-athlete mentors and study hall monitors/tutors
- Monitor academic progress and NCAA academic eligibility of student-athletes; work closely with the Registrar’s office and Athletics Compliance Staff in certification process
- Support registration and academic advising process for student-athletes
- Review academic records and identify concerns with regards to incoming freshmen, transfer and continuing student-athletes to ensure student schedules are academically appropriate
- Provide pre- and post-faculty academic advising appointment support and assistance for students-athletes
- Provide budget oversight for Student-Athlete Services
- Serve as the athletic department liaison with faculty, coaches and support units on campus on matters pertaining to the academic progress of student-athletes and their overall success
- Assist recruitment efforts by informing and educating athletics staff members, prospective student-athletes, and their families regarding academic and other resources available
- Present athletic department academic expectations to incoming student-athletes during orientation; collaborate with New Student and Family Programs office
- Assist Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student-Athlete Services in advising and mentoring the Pacific Student-Athlete Council (PSAC)
- Serve as ex-officio member of Athletics Advisory Board and participate in other university committees as needed or requested
- Provide assistance with compilation and preparation of NCAA and departmental reports
- Ensure student-athletes comply with academic Student Conduct sanctions when necessary
- Collect and compile academic progress reports and missed class reports; develop reports for appropriate campus entities
- Coordinate Missed Class and Proctoring policies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position serves as Campus Security Authority (CSA) as outlined by the Clery Act. CSAs have federally mandated responsibilities to report crimes that are reported them.
To apply https://apptrkr.com/1502263
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education, Counseling, or Psychology or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience demonstrating proficiency in academic counseling and working with diverse groups of students, preferably student-athletes.
- Solid working knowledge of Excel, Internet, Word, Email, and Social Media.
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with student athletes providing support services.
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations; demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with student-athletes, coaches, prospective student-athletes, parents, faculty, and other departments
- Demonstrated skill in assessing academic difficulties, developing appropriate support strategies, and evaluating and assessing effectiveness of student support intervention.
- Ability to listen and advise/counsel diverse personalities using sound and mature judgment.
- Capable of creating and presenting curriculum in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to set goals, manage time and assignments to meet the needs of student-athletes.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions based on specific guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated enthusiasm for the work.
- Established track record of strong leadership and ability to motivate others to succeed.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize workload under the pressure of competing assignments and dynamic deadlines.
- High degree of professionalism.
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
- Solid working knowledge of Excel, Internet, Word, Email, and Social Media. Experience using CRM, CMS, social media to support advising, student record keeping and data development, and leverage events to generate broad awareness of advising opportunities.