The Assistant Director of Academic Advising Initiatives, will provide leadership in developing holistic academic advising services for all Virginia Tech students in support of their development as they successfully integrate transdisciplinary knowledge and technological literacy, Informal communal learning, disciplinary depth, and guided experiential learning. Specific areas include, but are not limited to initiatives and programs such as, general education, education abroad, career development, internships, interdisciplinary majors, minors, and other curricular opportunities.
The Assistant Director will also provide support and coordination for university wide programs and initiatives related to enhancing academic advising. This includes the development and implementation of professional development and training activities for faculty and professional advisors to promote a high quality of academic advising across the university.
The Assistant Director of Academic Advising Initiatives reports to the Associate Provost for Academic Advising Initiatives and supports the integration, facilitation, coordination, synthesizing, enabling, and fostering of outcomes-driven efforts at Virginia Tech that support student success (e.g., retention, persistence and graduation). These objectives are achieved through development of a seamless recruitment, admission, advisement and transitional processes. The Assistant Director works closely with Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising team, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, each of the academic colleges and the campus community to accomplish comprehensive student engagement and completion goals.
- Explore and advance curricular options for students that integrate disciplinary depth and transdisciplinary width
- Advance academic advising strategies and best practices based on predictive analytics
- Assess effectiveness of advising programs and services to inform decision making based on CAS standards
- Ensure students are provided consistent, accurate and prompt advising services, coordinating with academic departments
- Maintain an advising load and works directly with students to accomplish educational goals
- Participates in university-wide initiatives to advance undergraduate education
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.