As the chief strategist for student success and completion strategies related to academic advising and academic student support, the Associate Vice President (AVP) role is responsible for creating an environment which emphasizes evidence-based student success advising strategies with specific attention to equity; proven best practice, high-impact retention strategies for community colleges; maintains deep faculty-advisor relationships; ensures advisor professional development; and fosters a culture of collaboration and care for students and colleagues. The AVP ensures the academic integrity of the college and supports innovations in programs and methods of delivery that respond in a timely manner to a rapidly changing environment. The AVP provides leadership, vision, direction and advocacy for a comprehensive array of student affairs, which support completion and student’s success in meeting their educational goals.
- Strategic Management With input from executive administrators, academic deans, and faculty, collaborates in the design, planning, development, and implementation of student-responsive, assessment-driven advising and student support strategies that facilitate student success, persistence and graduation.
- In collaboration with the deans, department chairs and faculty, where the academic advisors are embedded; leads the development, implementation, and execution of high impact community college advising practices to improve academic success, persistence and completion of students.
- Supports enrollment management initiatives and innovations in programs and methods of delivery that respond in a timely manner to a rapidly changing environment.
- Collaborates with Enrollment Management and Student Services, especially recruiting and new student programs, to ensure a seamless entry process for all new students to the College and the full implementation of an integrated advising system from entry through completion.
- Leading Teams Leads and manages the Academic and Student Affairs staff to achieve institutional priorities.
- Design and implement effective and ongoing professional development programs for the Academic and Student Affairs staff to ensure the highest level of outstanding and consistent student support.
- Leads the development of the College's academic advising, academic student support, and related retention strategies.
- Building Relationships Supports mutually beneficial partnerships and collaborates with higher education partners to enhance services for students.
- Maintains regular communication and working relationship with other areas of the college, keeping them informed of current activities and working collaboratively to achieve institutional priorities.
- Maintains professional visibility on campus, in the community, and in state and national organizations.
Applicants are required to attach a cover letter, resume and unofficial transcripts to be considered for this position.
Community colleges are uniquely positioned to respond to workforce needs and make higher education an affordable reality. There has never been a better time to join a two-year college, and there’s no better place to do it than at Columbus State. A laser focus on student success and a partnership mindset have established Columbus State as a key talent provider in a thriving regional economy, and a premier community college that is changing the nation’s education and workforce landscapes. With more than 46,000 students across two campuses, at several regional learning centers, and online, Columbus State is the nation’s only institution recognized as an Achieving the Dream (ATD) college, an AACC Guided Pathways institution, and a participant in The Right Signals Initiative through the Lumina Foundation. Columbus State employees at all levels benefit from an engaging, collaborative, and supportive culture that rewards innovation and vision. We provide competitive compensation, comprehensive benefits, and professional development opportunities. We are dedicated to ensuring that the diversity of Columbus State faculty and staff reflects that of our students and region. We are proud to be a central part of a community that embraces differences and celebrates the many cultures, beliefs, and lifestyles that define Central Ohio.
Tracy La Mar-Nickoli email@example.com 614-287-5436