The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 8,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff. Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design, and supports the economic development of Merced and the region. In Fall 2016, UC Merced broke ground on a $1.3 billion public-private partnership that is unprecedented in higher education. The Merced 2020 Project will nearly double the physical capacity of the campus by 2020, enhancing academic distinction, student success and research excellence. In 2018, UC Merced opened the Downtown Campus Center, a $33 million, three-story administrative building located in the heart of Merced.
The Career Specialist for the School of Engineering provides student professional development activities and implements career readiness education, such as internships, career development programs, and employer engagement in order to support and facilitate the academic, professional and personal development of students within the School of Engineering. The core responsibility of this role is to provide career readiness programming and career coaching to students and alumni, including assessment of student/alumni goals and interests, resume review, interview preparation, networking techniques, self-branding and effective job/internship search tactics to ensure market- and employer-readiness. This position uses coaching techniques and conducts mock interviews (behavioral and technical). This position also plays an integral role in the design, delivery and management of career and professional development programs, seminars and sessions (online and in-person), in order to educate Engineering students on effective career management, and assists with the collection and reporting of statistics on student employment outcomes. Additional responsibilities include providing relevant market insight to students, participating in career services events, and creating, developing, and maintaining relationships with industry specific contacts. This position may also develop, deliver, and evaluate career development programs to build foundational career skills of students and alumni. This position reports to the Director, Employer Connections and Internships in the Center for Career & Professional Advancement. Career Specialist - School of Engineering level 3: $55,000 - $60,000. Career Specialist - School of Engineering level 4: $64,000.
To Apply: Click on the link below to use our new on-line application system. Apply Online https://jobs.ucmerced.edu/n/staff/position.jsf?positionId=8776 If you do not have internet access you may mail your application, resume, and cover letter to: University of California, Merced, 5200 North Lake Rd., Merced CA 95343. Please list the job number on the subject line. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct. University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu E-Verify: Effective September 8, 2009, all employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check. More Information For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/
University of California, Merced
Career Specialist - School of Engineering level 3
- Bachelors degree in related field and 3 years of directly related experience, or equivalent experience/training required.
Career Specialist - School of Engineering level 4
- Bachelors degree in related field and 5 years of directly related experience, or equivalent experience/training required.
- Demonstrated expertise in program development, career coaching and relationship management, such as recruiting; human resources; talent development or career services activities is required.
- Advanced communication skills, including outreach, group facilitation, coaching, presentation and/or teaching experience and written skills required.
- Strong ability to work with people from diverse cultures required.
- Qualified candidates should demonstrate the proven ability to lead in a highly collaborative environment, possess excellent relationship building, organizational, planning and analytical skills, and be self-motivated required.
- Ability to travel to corporations, conferences, job fairs and other events on occasion required.
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours when needed required.
Career Specialist - School of Engineering level 4
- Masters degree in field related to human services, educational administration, business development or other relevant background preferred.
- Experience working with faculty, staff and students at all levels (particularly with First Generation Students) in Engineering and Computer Science preferred.
- Experience in the use of online tools, including recruiting tools, CRMs and social media, to communicate and match employers with students and alumni preferred.
- Strong ability to design and modify computer applications to meet program needs preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of academic programs, career services, employer, alumni, and faculty needs and expectations, recruiting and staffing methods, employment trends preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of needs assessment theory, processes, and practice; project and program design preferred.