Developmental Advising Specialist
Categories: Mid South Region 3
|College of Nursing
|West Virginia University
|Open Until Filled
The Office of Student Services in the School of Nursing at West Virginia University is seeking applications for a Program Coordinator. This position is responsible for advising students in the School of Nursing. A main focus of this position is increasing retention and graduation of students by guaranteeing consistent and effective academic advising. The position will be responsible for the curriculum taught and information provided in the nursing orientation class in addition to evaluating programmatic goals and implementing initiatives towards reaching success in various aspects of the program.
- Develop and provide advising training, including advising manuals and forms.
- Plan, organize and coordinate daily academic advising activities in the School of Nursing, including counciling students on major choice
- Maintain an intervention program for at-risk students and utilize assessment tools to evaluate the advising program for these students.
- Develop a plan of progression for all newly admitted undergraduate students.
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date database.
- Work with Director of Admissions & Enrollment to have students readmitted to undergraduate programs, including reapplication, probation/contract terms, and resolving inactive status issues.
- Track student grades and GPA to ensure proper implementation of and compliance with the Undergraduate Progression Standards.
- Supervise student workers, work study, graduate assistants and volunteers assuring the necessary level of productivity.
At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer athttp://hr.wvu.edu/.
- Master’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience
- Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Student advising and academic policies
- Student support services
- Higher education
- Knowledge of School of Nursing system, undergraduate curriculum, and admissions criteria
- Knowledge of registration, course adjustment, and withdrawal procedures
- Knowledge and ability to interpret course catalog descriptions, interpret college academic records and transcripts
- Ability to collect and evaluate data, and independently generate reports to support administrative decision-making
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, BANNER, Groupwise, and Internet Explorer