The Academic Advising and Career Exploration Center is seeking a graduate assistant for the 2019-2020 Academic Year. Due to the busy nature of this office, the graduate assistant must quickly adapt to a position with time demands, and responsibility for several concurrent duties. The successful applicant must possess excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal skills, be highly motivated, and enthusiastic. A professional attitude and a willingness to work with a diverse population are essential to the position.
Responsibilities (after training) will include:
- Advise undergraduate students on academic matters ranging from selecting a program of study to schedule-building and pre-enrollment
- Refer students to appropriate support services
- Assist students in career exploration
- Co-teach UNIV 100 Major & Career Exploration
- Conduct workshops and group presentations designed to assist students with academic advising and career exploration
- Participation in public relations efforts with administration, faculty, staff, students, visitors, and other constituents
- Coordination of social media networks (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TigerLink)
- Coordination of special projects
- Routine tasks related to office operations
- Keep consistent office hours
- Other duties as assigned by the Director and/or Assistant Director
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply for the position; send a letter of application, current resume including the telephone numbers of three references, complete academic transcript, and any additional supporting materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FHSU is the leading forward-thinking, entrepreneurial university of the Midwest. We have an enrollment of more than 15,000 students and offer certificate and degree programs at the associate, bachelor's and master's levels through 31 academic departments (we also offer a Doctorate of Nursing Practice degree). We attract goal-oriented students who want premier learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom combined with extraordinary one-to-one attention and support. Fort Hays State's cozy, tree-filled campus is located in Hays, Kansas (on I-70, halfway between Kansas City and Denver). FHSU is a welcoming community in the heart of historic Hays, a community that celebrates its frontier roots and its modern sensibility - coffee shops, one-of-a-kind restaurants, shopping, and a vibrant arts scene.
Nikki Brown Assistant Director, Academic Advising and Career Exploration Center Phone: 785-628-5577 Email: email@example.com
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education GPA requirement: 3.4 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Full admission and on‐campus enrollment in MSE Higher Education Student Affairs graduate program at Fort Hays State University
- Proven ability to work with diverse student, staff, and faculty populations
- Demonstrated commitment to equal opportunity and success for all students, regardless of possible barriers
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as a team member
- Language requirement: TOEFL of 600 or English as a first language
- An interest in helping exploratory students develop the critical decision‐making skills that will enable them to identify and build meaningful academic goals for their undergraduate education
- Consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in working with academic programs and policies
- Experience working in a college or university setting
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office Package, multiple social media platforms, online assessments, design programs, and email)