Academic advising at Marymount University involves assessing student needs, goals, and interests in order to guide students towards graduation. Academic Advisors are also responsible for understanding and interpreting the Marymount University’s policies and academic options of all degree and certificate programs to help facilitate the student’s academic success.
- Works closely with admissions and financial aid staff to advise students e.g., makes contact with students upon deposit, participates in summer orientation, builds schedules and makes referrals to appropriate services.
- Provides academic advising to students from freshman year through graduation, both individually and in groups each semester, including Liberal Arts Core requirements, inquiry learning, programs of study, and degree options. Provides students with information about alternatives and possible consequences of academic decisions.
- Works closely with the Center for Teaching and Learning staff to provide academic support (e.g., tutoring, referrals to Student Access Services). • Coordinates with career services staff on career and major exploration activities and helps students develop preliminary career options. • Advises on college transition issues and coordinates with Student Counseling Services as necessary.
- Proactively discusses financial issues to identify potential concerns and makes appropriate referrals.
- Interprets and administers Marymount University policies and procedures.
- Maintains relationships with assigned Department Chairs/Program Directors and Associate Deans to understand and clarify departmental and school expectations. Maintains current knowledge of all degree and certificate programs.
- Participate in academic school meetings and student academic events.
- Completes other advising duties as requested such as: track retention, authorize add/drops. Keeps advising statistics, advising notes in Starfish, and other reporting documents up-to-date.
- Participates in professional conferences and other self-directed professional development activities.
- Maintains knowledge of trends in academic area of advisement.
Required Documents: Resume Cover Letter References
Marymount is a comprehensive Catholic university that emphasizes the liberal arts, career preparation, and personal and professional development. Consistently rated #1 or 2 among regional universities in the South for its diverse student body , Marymount serves nearly 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The university’s location in suburban Arlington, Virginia, offers easy access to the rich resources and international, cultural, and ethnic diversity of the nation’s capital. Marymount University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Apply online at https://www.marymountjobs.com/postings/5636
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
- Master’s degree in a related field and four years of experience working with college students or young adults in an academic or counseling capacity.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in helping students transition from high school into a traditional 4-year college program.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Starfish Retention software and Ellucian Colleague preferred.
Additional Work Requirements:
- Ability to work with faculty, staff, and students in a professional, team-oriented environment.
- Displays superior interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills, and shows sound judgment in decision making.
- Sensitive to issues of ethnicity, disability, and diversity.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and other ethical standards.
- Must be clearly student-focused in both philosophy and purpose.