This position provides a wide range of academic advising services to undergraduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences. This position will support biology advising, as well as other departmental advising. Reports directly to the Manager of Biology Advising. Develops and coordinates advising and records program activities for students seen in his/her capacity. Serves as liaison for students with faculty advisors in Arts and Sciences departments as well as other UM Colleges/Schools.
Advising and Support of Undergraduate Students:
• Responsible for advising students in a variety of Arts and Sciences majors, as well as general office advising during peak periods for undergraduate CAS students. Maintains regular interaction and follow-up with these students and maintains all relevant records. Adheres to strict student confidentiality in accordance to FERPA.
• Responsible for registration, drop/add and withdrawal functions, including the actual entry to the registration system for each student advised. Authorized signor of registration forms.
• Approves academic course selection and equivalencies for students registering to participate in studies through the University of Miami Study Abroad Program or other institutions.
• Provides students with a variety of resources and assist with these student's major/career explorations in collaboration with Toppel Career Center, Arts & Sciences departments as well as other colleges/schools at the University of Miami.
• Assist with the interviewing, training, scheduling, and managing of approximately 30 peer advisors regarding their academic information relevant to new incoming students.
• Initiates mailings to continuing College students. Writes and edits letters and supporting documents with information about fall and spring advising and registration, meeting schedules, and advising guidelines.
• Maintains academic integrity and confidentiality when corresponding by email to students, parents, and officials from this university and other institutions in the US or abroad.
• Writes student letters of recommendation and letters required for transient status.
• Collaborates with academic advisors from other colleges/schools at the University of Miami on matters pertaining to majors and inter-transferring students’ academic records, to maintain current with academic requirements and curriculum changes, and to attend advising workshops.
Academic Records and Technical Support:
• Proficient in the functions of all Student Enrollment Management Systems.
• Maintain folders for students to include correspondence, registration forms, academic progress posting, grades, alerts, and confidential/official academic documents.
Orientation, Workshops, and Recruitment:
• Under the direction of the Manager of Biology Advising, assists with the coordination of the fall and spring orientation for incoming students. Organizes relevant materials and handouts, participates in activities connected with the orientation program and advisement.
• Under the direction of the Manager of Biology Advising, assists in the coordination of the annual Faculty Advising Workshop and the training of faculty advisors.
• Participates in three Admission Open House events held throughout the fall and spring semesters for the purpose of attracting potential students and special populations to the University of Miami.
The University of Miami is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.