The Office of Advanced Engineering Education (OAEE) in the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park is currently seeking Academic Advisor to support current graduate students from the point of admission thru graduation. The academic advisor will provide information and advising, through both in-person and electronic communications, to admitted and current students regarding the creation and review of program course plans, degree requirements, course selection, university policies and procedures, university resources, degree progress, and graduation clearances.
The advisor will also work with Faculty Advisors and act as a liaison between Faculty Advisors and students regarding curriculum. This position will also assist in the creation and implementation of workshops and activities which will engage students in both the community of the A. James Clark School of Engineering and the University of Maryland campus at large. Strong organizational, administrative, interpersonal, and communication skills are essential, as is a solid understanding of advising strategies in higher education as they relate to professional and international students and a proven ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural, multi-generational setting.
Resume, Cover Letter and List of References via https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/57449.
The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/q855k359rj9ydpmvPI100959949
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of academic advising experience in college/university student services is required.
- Must possess a solid understanding of advising strategies in higher education as they relate to professional and international students.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion and tact.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends to meet the needs of professional student enrolled in evening courses.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and presentation skills.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and a problem solver.
- Strong customer service, maturity, good judgment, and one who can work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Possess enthusiasm and a positive approach to work, the ability to build an excellent rapport with students, and a commitment to their educational development.
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration, Counseling, or a related field
- Knowledge of UMD advising technology, including Student Information System (SIS), and Advise on the Web.