The International Accelerator (IA) is a partnership between American University (AU) and Shorelight Education. One of the programs offered through the IA is the American Access Program (Access). In support of the university's strategic plan goal of bringing the world to AU and AU to the world, the mission of Access is to immerse first-year international students in the academic and cultural life at American University, help them integrate into campus life, and provide the academic support that expands their options to transfer to a college/university to complete an undergraduate degree.
Reporting to the Associate Student Services Director (ASSD), the Student Services Advisors (SSAs) collaborate with the ASSD on organizing key elements of holistic support for international students, in the American Access Program. The primary responsibilities of SSA's is to provide academic and transfer advising by applying targeted strategies aimed at ensuring student success in both their academic and transfer university goals. SSAs also supports the coordination and delivery of high-quality extracurricular experiences and wrap-around services tailored to international undergraduate student needs. SSAs must be committed to quality, possess excellent customer service skills, and possess the ability to focus their attention on individual students as each is guided through the program. Individuals in this position must have the interpersonal and intercultural skills necessary to work closely with students, parents, program staff, university administration, and other stakeholders.
• Provide transfer guidance/advising for Access students planning to transfer after completion of the Access program by mapping individualstudent transfer processes and maintaining and applying a broad knowledge of transfer policies and resources. This should include but is not limited to resources/knowledge on fit, transfer requirements, articulation agreements, scholarship opportunities and pre-matriculation policies.
• Provide academic advising and support for Access students in accordance with their expressed academic goals and transfer destination requirements.
• Serve as instructor for new student seminar courses (Live, Learn and Grow)
• Contribute to the design and delivery of Access student support services that provide a strong foundation for the students' overall university experience. This includes but is not limited to the pre-arrival and orientation processes, academic tutoring and workshops, community and student life events and programming, acculturation into the university, and management of the overall student experience.
• Participate in student services events (e.g., airport arrival days, orientation, graduation), student activities, familiarization tours, and through relevant memberships and affiliations (Some evening and weekend work is required)
• Support the coordination of student satisfaction surveys and associated analyses, with an eye toward strategic planning of program developmentand retention strategies.
• Develop key relationships with the university in the areas of International Student and Scholar Services office, Office of Student Life, tutoring, student clubs and extracurricular activities, and other programs serving as a resource and connection point for Access students.
• Contribute content for various social media outlets aimed at current and new students
• Assist in the development and promotion of activities for student retention
• Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with staff, recruiters, institutions, and students
• Contribute to the development of student services operations ensuring policies, systems, and procedures are followed and assist in creating new processes
• Maintain the accuracy and confidentiality of records and reporting for cohort of students in accordance with FERPA regulations
• Other duties as assigned
Application Process To apply for this position, please visit the Shorelight Careers page to submit an application with a resume and cover letter. The International Accelerator at American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/6fdmck3z88rf4vyk
• Master's degree required
• Experience with academic advising and/or transfer admissions counseling
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with emphasis on cross-cultural competency with documented success working with non-native English speakers.
• Excellent data management and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail
• Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and creative-thinking skills
• Exemplary customer service skills with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, take initiative, and maintain a high-energy level while demonstrating sound judgment
• Experience using Microsoft Office programs and databases
• Eligible to work in and travel freely to and from the United States without sponsorship
• Teaching experience strongly preferred
• Broad knowledge of student support services within a higher education setting preferred
• Strong working knowledge of one or more of the following languages: Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese; proficiency preferred