California State University Maritime Academy
Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Classification – Student Services Professional III
Time base – Full time
JOB BULLETIN No.: 102997 – 16/17
This recruitment will remain open until filled. A review of applications will begin Wednesday, August 3, 2016 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.SALARY RANGE: $4,082 - $5,815 per month. Anticipated hiring salary will be near the beginning of the salary range.
Provide group and/or individual academic advising, counseling, analysis and undergraduate progress assessments in coordination with SEAS, Admissions, Financial Aid, Academic departments and other student services including commandants and residence life.
• Advise students on general university policies and procedures, including filing petitions, deadlines and referrals to other campus resources when applicable.
• Identify student academic problems and collaborate with academic department chairs to develop individual solutions for timely progress to degree.
• Resolve and recommend a course of action for students in difficult academic situations including issues with course repeats, failures, withdrawals, GPA, etc.
• Develop and communicate recommendations to faculty and staff to facilitate timely progress to degree and/or graduation of their students.Provide input and feedback on PeopleSoft and other advising tools to improve functionality and accuracy
• Assess degree audit reports and transfer credit rules and provide continual feedback to campus units involved with use and implementation of these reports and rules
• Assist with the development of student-friendly tools to enhance advising services.Coordinate and track students and provide comprehensive advising
• Work with Admissions to identify transfer students with Associates Degrees for Transfer (SB1440) and contact students and faculty to ensure comprehensive advising.
• Track specific student cohorts (such as student on academic probation) to analyze, determine trends, and make recommendations for improved students services or policies.
• Meet with students individually and/or in groups to provide comprehensive advising services.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be satisfactorily completed prior to any candidate being offered a position with the CSU.
• The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://apptrkr.com/850448. Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone or email.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Situated on the shore of the Carquinez Strait 30 miles northeast of San Francisco, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1060 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master’s degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
BENEFITS: The California State University Maritime Academy offers a broad range of benefits for qualifying positions including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement (CalPERS), fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with a Disability
:• Three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. (A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience.)
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required, preferably in a job-related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of advising and interviewing techniques, and of the principles of individual and group behavior.
• General knowledge of the principles, practices and trends of the Student Services field as well as general knowledge of the procedures and practices of Academic Advising.
• General knowledge or the ability to rapidly acquire such knowledge, of the organizational procedures and activities of Cal Maritime.
• Working knowledge of student services programs outside the program to which immediately assigned.
• Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
• Ability to advise students individually and in groups on complex student-related matters.
• Ability to interpret and evaluate descriptions and explanations of problems brought forward by individuals or student organizations, analyze and define the problem, draw valid conclusions and project consequences of various alternative courses of action.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective/cooperative working relationships with a wide range of students, staff, faculty, and the general public.
• Excellent organizational skills including ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task, and meet deadlines.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to follow all university policies, procedures, and guidelines including but not limited to safety, civility, information security, and non-discrimination policies and
• Knowledge of PeopleSoft Campus Solutions 9.0
• Knowledge of the CSU and California community college systems
• Knowledge of maritime industry and majors
• Experience in developing an advising services center for students