The Department of Political Science seeks to hire a responsible and creative Undergraduate Academic Advisor. This individual will work independently to administer and manage the Department's undergraduate program, and provide selected support activities, under the supervision of the Director and Associate Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Advising prospective and current undergraduate students on Department programs, academic information, applications, and course registration from orientation through graduation.
- Performing all administrative tasks for students such as course substitutions, applying transfer credits, initiating grade changes, and processing departmental force-adds.
- Referring students to appropriate faculty for academic and career counseling.
- Performing Graduation Analyses for all majors, notifying students of future needs to complete degree. Assist students with their academic plans and course selection.
- Monitoring of student's degree progress via Degree Auditing Reporting System (DARS).
- Providing reports on student information as needed to the Department Administrators.
- Managing and processing students' records, assigning faculty advisors, maintaining databases of student information.
- Assisting academic assessment and record keeping.
- Working with Registrar's Office to schedule classrooms and assist in scheduling classes.
- Assisting in the development and design of communication and recruitment materials; e.g., posters, displays, brochures and other communication.
- Helping organize all aspects of summer orientation and make-up sessions for freshman, transfer and international students.
- Assisting in awarding and managing of academic scholarships.
- Providing assistance for other departmental staff to cover key responsibilities in their absense.
- Coordinating spring graduation ceremony for political science and international studies; scheduling, organization and logistics of rehearsal and event.
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.