Application deadline: March 10, 2019
Submit a Nomination
There are two award categories:
- Academic Advising--Primary Role — Individuals whose primary role at the institution is the direct delivery of advising services to students. Nominees must directly advise students at least 50% of their time.
- Faculty Academic Advising — Individuals whose primary responsibility is teaching and who spend a portion of their time providing academic advising services to students. Nominees must teach or do research at least 50% of their time.
- Any individual serving as an academic advisor or faculty academic advisor for three (3) or fewer years calculated from the deadline for submission (March 2019), and is employed by a regionally accredited post-secondary institution may be nominated.
- NACADA membership is not required but is encouraged.
- Current members of the Board of Directors and Council are not eligible for consideration for this award. After the member’s term of office is over, s/he may then be eligible for consideration.
- Previous Global Outstanding New Advisor Award winners or Certificate of Merit recipients are not eligible.
- Previous Regional-level outstanding award winners are eligible for Global Awards.
- Only one nominee per category per institution will be considered. The awards database will notify those that may have a duplicate entry. However, it's best to save time and coordinate campus-wide before entering the nomination.
Rubric for Outstanding New Advisor Primary Role
Nominations must contain adequate factual or narrative material describing how the individual meets the award criteria. Include the following items in the order listed below and use objective data to support the nomination:
- A completed Nomination Submission.
- Two separate PDF files as outlined-
File #1 includes:
- A Summary of the Nominee’s Qualifications- In this key piece, the nominator should summarize the extent to which the nominee meets the award criteria, citing letters of support, data, or other materials illustrative of exemplary performance as a new advisor. Nominators should focus qualities and experiences that make the nominee outstanding in their role highlighting what they've done to go above and beyond normal advising duties.
- Nominee Resume or Curriculum Vitae- please limit entries to material that pertains directly to academic advising. The package must include the nominee's current job or position description with percentages of time spent on each duty or a list of job responsibilities with percentages of time spent in each area.
- A personal statement of nominee's advising philosophy.
- Resources on creating your advising philosophy
File #2 contains all appendices which support the nominator’s recommendation including:
- Representative materials developed by the nominee. Examples include training or presentation materials, articles written or other examples of the advisor going above and beyond normal advising job duties.
- Letters of support from advisees, colleagues, and administrators that specifically address the new advisor's outstanding qualities above and beyond normal job duties. Letters of support or additional materials sent separate from the nomination packet will not be considered.
- Other pertinent information from nominator that exemplifies outstanding achievement in this category.
Appendices are limited to a maximum of 40 pages. The online system allows you to submit more than one attachment for the appendices but the total number of pages should be no more than 40.
*Nominations must include only original documentation prepared specifically for the NACADA Global Awards Program. Materials intended for other award programs will not be considered.
Please be sure to review the Submission Instructions page before beginning your nomination.
Submit a Nomination